Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top 10 Bookish Pet Peeves


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week topic is Top 10 Bookish Pet Peeves - the bookish things that drives you absolutely crazy/bonkers. Here's my list.
  • Marginalia in Library Books. I am all for it when it comes to personal books, but not for books used by the public.
  • People that go to bookstores, write down books they want and then order them online. Support brick and mortar bookstores, otherwise they'll cease to exist.
  • Dogearing. I like bookmarks. I collect bookmarks. No need to bend pages.
  • When I lend a book out and I never get it back or it comes back beat up. I like my books to come back in the condition I lent it out in.
  • Being told what I should read and what I shouldn't. I read what I want, when I want it.
  • When someone ruins a reading experience by telling you the ending. I had a friend who told me the ending of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince before I finished it. Needless to say, I couldn't finish the book because the ending was spoiled.
  • Overdone trends. When a particular book becomes super popular and everyone and their mom comes out with a book with similar subjects. *cough*vampires/werewolves*cough*
  • Covers with face models. I don't like being told what characters look like. I like imagining them in my head. The only exception is if the cover model actually matches the character description.
  • Series that run too long. End it already!
  • Historical books with modern dialogue.

So what's your biggest book peeve?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I go to bookstores and see a book I want but then I get it from my library but I figure it's okay because libraries need all the help they can get.

kayerj said...

It's been fun to be a little bit peevish this morning, great list. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Connie said...

@booknympho I don't mind if people write down books and then check it out from the public library. I'm a huge fan of the public library and definitely think they need all the support right now with the budget slashing going on. But to go to deliberately go to a bookstore to browse and then buy the books they find online - completely bad form in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I love writing in my books, but I would never write in a library book. I DO like finding interesting bookmarks in them, though. It's like finding a forgotten secret.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs